I appreciate your time yesterday and wanted to follow up as I know the transition into understanding how to attain success from the information given on the dashboard is a bit overwhelming at first. So, now what?
The single most important item to meaning within our lives is our contribution toward an outcome that is greater than us as an individual. To contribute this does not mean follow along and go through the motions. Contribution by definition means to give something in order to help, achieve or provide something. This forces us to “think bigger” than ourselves, grow physically, mentally, socially and spiritually. The most critical part to achieving a high-performing autonomous team, other than understanding the goals, is the word trust.
Trust by definition = the firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability or strength of someone or something.
In a team setting, trusting is:
- Supporting others’ needs but holding ourselves/them accountable for achieving the goals
- Not getting defensive when we ask questions or dig deep into ideas/concerns
- NEVER giving an excuse why something couldn’t happen and just “owning it”
- Focusing on solutions always by understanding the root cause
- Always looking to improve no matter what the circumstance
- NEVER let anyone on this team fail
Each of us has a role to play. We will one day be behind and one day be ahead. Whatever the situation our ability to contribute within this role and achieve results when they are not handed to us is the single largest character builder in life. More importantly, it is the single highest level of meaning we can attain. The difference between pros and amateurs is not their skill, it is their mentality, it’s their will to win. Their ability to not only strive to win but never accept a loss. This mindset gives them real meaning as their work becomes their passion and they begin to achieve results they could not imagine. Results that most average people chalk up to natural talent or environment in any industry.
This mindset doesn’t happen overnight, but in our current life cycle, conditions and team members we have a huge opportunity to really change the world.
- Understand the numbers and where you stand according to the goals. If you have questions, please ask. As anyone and everyone until it is clear.
- Collaborate with others to align with these goals. Look at solutions. Always.
- We will review to answer questions as they arise to support these goals and/or ideas to attain them.
Remember: It is hard to be questioned about our status. This is why most companies never try to attain this level of autonomy as it creates defensiveness. Don’t take anything personally. We are all here to win…We are all here to help. So, stay open minded and listen to learn.